let love guide you to the freedom you deserve...

let love guide you to the freedom you deserve...

Search A Life Worth Living...

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Coming Home to my Community...

Wow.  Good morning.  The universe responds sometimes with such power and clarity that I giggle sometimes at the clear face of its love.

Part I: The Hawk

Today I sit at the doorstep of the rest of my life.  The room I am just leaving is my life until now.  This room has not been all bad, nor has it been all good.  There have been many wonderful gifts that I've been given, many I've indeed given as well, but much that I've taken.  Taken without asking, taken despite being told "no," and taken gently, but taken nonetheless.

I have grown weary of being a taker.

I have chosen to end a relationship of 15 years this past month.  A relationship that has taken much from me, and in turn has caused me to take as much as I could from the people around me, the ones that love me.  This relationship did not feed my spirit nor connect me with the universe around me.  It isolated, caused fear and pain, guilt and shame and wreaked havoc on my relationship with myself, Creator and my family and community.

Community.

I just returned from a trip to the mountains. Two days of love, light and hope.  Even a little ceremony mixed in for good measure.  My spirit was fed, cleansed, embraced and supported.  Now I am home.

Before I left, I wrote on these electronic pages that I would be meeting someone there.  A hawk.  A hawk from the city who had been striving to keep his hawkness for many years. A hawk who has injured some, maybe through thought, action and deed, but never me.  A hawk who has also done very well and helped many people.

I have chosen for many years to not fly in the same circles as this particular hawk. But now, now that I am cleaning my soul, choosing to give instead of take, and walk with pride and authenticity, I have gravitated to some of those circles.

Last week I wrote that the hawk from the city needs, every once in a while, to return to his home, to the verdant fields and grasses waving in the breeze, to the land of the bouncing vole and the timid mouse.  To reconnect, recharge and connect with his centre.  I bore witness to these actions from my hawk friend.

Hawks tend to fly more often than not, so his steps along the mountain, and through the rushing stream were careful and slow.  Fear lined his face as he made his way through the trail.  But he did it...  We did it. We did it together, emerging from the bush stronger for our experience.

As we walked, I had asked him about the things I'd heard that disparaged him, not in a pointed way, but in a gentle way, inviting explanation.  I received this explanation and acquired understanding from his perspective.  Along the way, a beautiful, gentle teacher who happened to be along for the journey, opened her heart and shared wisdom that was hers and straight from the land and from our ancestors.  It was law, as designated and laid down by our Creator.

I saw my friend continue walking and telling his story - one of intrigue and mistrust and misplaced human values, while this gentle teacher behind us, with her truths that emanated from her heart and from the hearts of our shared ancestries, was silenced by my hawk friend and the political bullshit that we were talking about.  I really just wanted to stop and turn, and in fact I did, to learn more of this beautiful teaching that, despite being Indian all my life, I had never heard before.

Maybe he'd heard those teachings before, maybe he is well versed in natural law.  But all I know is that in that setting, in that verdant mountain beauty, to talk of another's errant choices and mistakes and to cast aspersions on the very process that one has spent so much time creating, and to cast blame on others while shining the light of innocence on one's self is a lot like giving Creator the finger - especially while a gentle truth from our ancestry is being shared by a young lady whose gentle truths helped inspire a global movement.



Part II:  Community

Community the word came to us from the French  communité which came to them from the Latin communitas (com = with + munas = gift).  To share gifts.  To share our gifts.  This is what it's all about.

My trip to the mountains saw the coming together of people from many places and walks of life, backgrounds and colours.  Although there was a high number of brothers and sisters from the white race, each of the four races of mankind was represented, due in part to the three colours that dance harmoniously in my blood!) and a single representative from Japan.  Even still, the community that gathered there was not based on race:  It was and is based on love.  On generosity of spirit and deed and on a common vision of a healthier planet and societies based on love, tolerance and understanding.  And on those issues, our racial lines and separation of colour blur into a common shade of spirit.  

"First we are spirit..." said my late mom once at a gathering that was threatening to erupt into flames of hatred and jealousy and anger.

"...then we are man or woman, then we are our race, then we are our communities and families... but first, we are spirit."

The words and ideas and hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow danced around the flames of our sacred fire and among the tendrils of smoke from our smudge and as we shared our hearts and the gifts of our minds and broke bread together, we became spirit.

I met many incredible people.

I met a woman who danced with a wolf in order to protect her beloved pet and in that dance, shared maternal protective instinct that the mother wolf likely recognized and respected.

I met another woman who brings her heart day in and day out helping people in a world that is often thankless and cold - who sat next to me on the way to the mountain while I cried for a child who had to grow up too quickly.

I met a man who made much money helping others make money and save money and invest money and hide money and who now devotes his time to helping people on their journeys and engaging in spiritual improvement..

I met many healers; I met people with the gift of song, with the gift of beauty, with the gift of perseverance... With many gifts. 

I met a woman who has become the change she wants to see in the world - by gently severing her ties that bind her to the worship of legal tender and instead, invests her energies into those things based on spiritual capital or real capital - like food, shelter, love, hope, and so forth.

I met a man who, despite being playful like a child, has seen the enemy and his ways, knows them inside and out, and who can see the light that shines on the other side of a crumbled Wall Street.

What joy there is in being part of a community that gives. That feels.  That sings together. That prays together.  That loves together. 

I heard so many stories in such a short time.  I was sad to leave. 


Part III: Connection and Re-connection

These two days since have rattled me to the core.  I tried yesterday to contact some of the participants for continuation of our discussions.  No emails back yet, no returned calls.  Despite the feeling that my life hinges in the balance of these discussions, I am having to surrender this fear and this frustration.  It is hard.  We are all busy.  

We talked in the circle of how do we sustain this; how do we keep from feeling isolated and alone after we leave here; how do we continue this work in our homes and communities with the strength of the circle?

And now we all sit in our homes and communities, maybe some wondering as me, maybe some grieving as me.

I called a family member yesterday; one who has worked closely with hawks.  I retold the story I'd heard in the mountains. The one of best intentions gone awry.  The one that showed no culpability or responsibility for the permutations and political realignments that have plagued our community.  The one that cast blame on situations and individuals and inescapable truths.

My relative said, "Bullshit."

"He lied to your face."

This hurts.  But what can I do?  


I want to work in our community - to help others.  To achieve a level of comfort for my family and to help others accomplish the same for theirs.  There are institutions that have been built with the hope and the vision and the theoretical tools to do these things.

They sit right now, unused and in need of repair - of realignment, of restaffing.  Maybe when the time comes, I will be needed there.  Maybe they will resist a bear like me in the arena of hawks and wolves and foxes and frogs. Maybe they'll welcome me with open arms.  Like most human endeavour, I'm sure it'll be a little of both if the time does indeed come.  

I brought home one task for our circle which will lead to closer connection.  Today I will complete this task and I'm certain I will feel the embrace of the circle again.

Part IV:  Conclusion - Coming Home

Sometimes in our families and our communities, we yearn for acceptance and love.  Or maybe we think it's love, when really it's just approval.  Anyways, we jump and dance, and smile and sing and do everything we can to get that pat on the head, that validation and the feelings of safety and security that come from that.

We spend all our time looking in one place, and in doing so, we miss the love that the universe shares with us from all the other places and sources in our lives.  We become so focused on the one that we miss the many.  We can't feel the beauty and inspiration of the forest for the one or two trees that block our view.

I sat and prayed in the tub this morning.  Revelation is gift I usually receive when I do this.  (I'm a Pisces which is a beautiful set of character traits that derive their power from water)
Pisces:  We are mutable but framed in love, inspiration, heart and creativity and love of food.  Well, that last one, maybe not so much...

Anyways, the revelation that greeted me is that community is many things.  Part of my struggle is that I am working to change my stars as they say, and create a life that is based on sustainability, heart work, love and protecting and celebrating culture, diversity and the earth.

There are not too many jobs out there with these things as a combined description.  So I must do it myself, but within the context of my community.

I have on my Facebook a job description that says "CEO, Living Earth Inc."...  This is a vestige of an idea from some months ago that started out great, but after consulting a non-Aboriginal, driven and ambitious business consultant, thought better of doing something, as he said, "...with a lot of risk and not much reward."

I concurred, not realizing that our concept of reward was very different.

Yesterday I get a message from a media representative wanting to interview me for "my role as CEO of Living Earth Inc."...

Oops.

Holy Shit!  I have to get to work now...  

I will start here at home.  I don't have to dance with the hawks and the menagerie in the city to the west of me right now.  That will happen soon enough.  And I will dance with sure steps, strong and with the rhythm of the earth.  But for now, I will start here.  

I live in Sherwood Park, which I say with a little pride whenever people ask where I live.  What I don't always say is that I live in a co-op in Sherwood Park, renting, not with a $500K mortgage (which is from the Latin "mortus" for death, and "gage" from Old Germanic for "pledge."  mortgage = Death pledge)  I really don't think I want one of those.

If Sherwood Park is sometimes perceived as the elite, as the Joneses that we strive to keep up with, surely our Davidson Creek Co-Op might be perceived as being on the other side of the tracks.

But the Co-op sometimes doesn't feel like one.  Petty differences, grievances, many of them our own; suspicion, fear, uncertainties...  These are things that I feel sometimes when I regard my own home here in the park.  Now I have some acquaintances, and all the kids love me, but really.  I mean, my neighbour and I shared a beer for the first time last week in 6.5 years of living here.  Six and a half years!  Funny.

That's actually a story for another day.

But I want to work at building community here.  Sharing our gifts in the truest sense.

Start here. Not running to some poor First Nation and trying some out of the box social science experiment - right here at home.  I told my wife I wanted to go to the next community meeting and she said "why?", with more than a little trepidation in her eyes.  She knows I like to volunteer and take things on, and seek approval and... and, and...  so on and so on.   She knows that historically I have done this, in many circles, begin to move too fast, and then implode in a fit of bad decisions, procrastination, self effacing thoughts and ultimately to addictive behaviours.

Not this time my love. Not this time.

In my bath today, I was thinking about this guy who I admire.  He's kind of a hawk too I think.  But he started by rolling up his sleeves and stepping into one of the toughest neighbourhoods in the world and began building community.  His work was heart inspired and tireless.  And he brought it.  Day after day, he brought it.

He put on his rubber boots and walked through shit and backlash, through suspicion and racist ideals, and still he brought it.

He wasn't perfect, and still isn't, but he's in the world's most powerful chair, making decisions that shape our very lives, and it all started by building community.


So I will put on my moccasins (or rubber boots) and walk as tenderly and authentically as I can, and ask for help along the way.  I will try not to cast aspersions on another or commit violence against another, and I will not always be successful (even today I took out my anxiety and frustration from my current financial state on someone I love dearly, even before the sun had really risen - Sorry S.).  I will atone when I must and work my hardest to be kinder and more open to suggestions and criticism in the future.

Progress, not perfection.

We are all children of God, and, as such, are all sacred.  We must embrace that sacredness and celebrate our similarities and work to find common ground among our differences.

Ekosi,

With love,
S.



Epilogue:  The Hawk

The hawk is my teacher.  This reprise (from the French "reprendre" = to take back) or theme is a significant one.  The hawk is a messenger.  He tells us when there is healing happening.  Where he circles and flies, there is healing afoot.  I love the hawk as I love all my brothers and sisters.  

Our ways are different but the same.  They complement each other.  The bear with the hawkish ways or the hawk with bear-like traits.  And all the clans in between.  We dance together. We are all one in the same:  Spirit first, then hearts, which are stronger when broken, then bodies that must be fed, clothed and housed.  

No one's work is perfect, but we are stronger together and our chance at perfection lies in the possibility of accepting our neighbour as equally and unequivocally as we accept ourselves and respecting their right to express themselves and feel an integral part of an open, honest and healing community.

xox.
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment